Friday, July 08, 2005

Declarative Sentences for a Friday



My great aunts in Brighton, with whom I spent drinking champagne & eating Chinese food on my 21st birthday, do not know what to make of the bombings in London. Anyone who knows what to make of the bombings in London, please let me know and I shall pass the information along. The younger one (83) is a crazy leftist; the older one is a statist (87) who thinks she is semi-royalty because she married a low-level diplomat in Ecuador. They survived the Blitz. For some reason, I associate the way they smelled with Englishness.

I was in Italy on 9/11. I don’t like to write that: “9/11.” I do not know exactly why. Milan, Italy – to be exact – is where I was. I drank like six bottles of wine in a day and a half, staring at the television like an invalid and occasionally rolling up a cig the size of a ballpoint pen. That seems like a decade ago. Entire worlds have since emerged and departed.

I like to read Christopher Hitchens because he tells me how lucky the world is to have Christopher Hitchens. I go to him for my weekly dose of gloating and I-told-you-so. I wonder if he likes being the portly, hyperdiscursive guy he is. I am not one of those people who decry his policy stances of late and yearn for the old Hitch. I just like to observe him, and to hear him recount prior stances he held and previous gifts he bequeathed to the world.

This weekend I am going to that place pictured above and to the right of where your eyes are now.

I am an escape artist of late. Summer camp is almost over, so the need to branch out, go forth, and make memories has grown. This entire exercise should serve as a warning to anyone who is not cognizant of the dangers of self-absorption.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home